Volunteer Income Tax (VITA) Program
County Federal has partnered with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and United Way Bay Area’s Earn It! Keep It! Save It! program to provide free tax preparation services for members who earn $54,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. They can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations.
Volunteers are not trained to prepare tax forms that include business, rental or partnership income.
For more information, visit the IRS VITA web page.
Two ways to file
- Click here to reserve your in-person appointment at our site.
- Online – file instantly at http://myfreetaxes.com/
County Federal VITA Site
1641 N. First Street, Suite 130
San Jose, CA 95112
Thursdays 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
February 8 – April 12, 2018
What to bring with you
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card or ITIN letter and birthdates for all persons on your tax return
- All applicable tax forms: W-2, W-2G, 1099R, 1099-MISC, 1095 (All forms), and 1099s (if any), and health coverage statements
- Health insurance exemption certificates
- Proof of Bank/Credit Union Account and Routing Number if you would like Direct Deposit (such as a blank voided check)
- Other income/expense information: Total Tuition Fees and Expenses, Total Expenses Paid for Child/Day Care, Day Care Provider’s Identifying Number (Social Security Number or Business EIN)
- Amounts/Dates of estimated or other tax payments made, etc.
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms