Volunteer Income Tax (VITA) Program
Leave the Number Crunching to Us
As part of County Federal’s commitment to providing resources to enrich our members’ financial lives, we have partnered with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and United Way Bay Area’s Earn It! Keep It! Save It! Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide free tax preparation to low-to-moderate-income individuals, families and seniors. Your tax returns will be prepared by trained and IRS-certified volunteers. If your annual household income is less than $56,000, and you need assistance with your taxes, you can receive free help this tax season through VITA.
Where can I receive VITA assistance?
VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations.
County Federal VITA Site
1641 N. First Street, Suite 130
San Jose, CA 95112
Time: 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
February 6th – April 9th, 2020
About the VITA Volunteers
Volunteers are not trained to prepare tax forms that include business, rental or partnership income. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. They can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.
For more information, visit the IRS VITA web page.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card or ITIN letter and birthdates for all persons on your tax return
- All applicable tax forms: W-2, W-2G, 1099R, 1099-MISC, 1095 (All forms), and 1099s (if any), and health coverage statements
- Health insurance exemption certificates
- Proof of Bank/Credit Union Account and Routing Number if you would like Direct Deposit (such as a blank voided check)
- Other income/expense information: Total Tuition Fees and Expenses, Total Expenses Paid for Child/Day Care, Day Care Provider’s Identifying Number (Social Security Number or Business EIN)
- Amounts/Dates of estimated or other tax payments made, etc.
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
You will be asked to fill out a detailed Intake Sheet (IRS Form 13614c). You can speed things up by filling this out at home (first, second, and third pages), printing, and bringing it with you! It only takes 5 minutes to fill out!
Scheduling Your Appointment
Volunteers will be available by appointment only every Thursday, starting February 6 through April 9, 2020. Space is limited, and appointments are available only to members of County Federal.
February: 6, 13, 20, 27
March: 5, 12, 19, 26
April: 2, 9
Times: 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
We Offer Tools & Resources to Make Taxes Easy for Our Members
Learn About Taxes
Learn about different types of taxes, tax forms, and how taxes impact your paycheck…
Earn it! Keep it! Save it!
Get your taxes prepared for free with Earn It! Keep It! Save It! Helping thousands of local residents. 2018 income must be $56,000 or less….
IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals…..
Turbo Tax Sweepstakes
County Federal has teamed up with TurboTax. Save up to $15 on TurboTax federal products.